Music: American folk tune.
1. How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said,
You, who unto Jesus for refuge have fled?
2. In every condition, in sickness, in health;
In poverty’s vale, or abounding in wealth;
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea,
As thy days may demand, shall My strength ever be.
3. “Fear not, I am with thee, O be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I’ll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand
Upheld by my righteous, omnipotent hand.”
4. “When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of grief shall not thee overflow
For I will be with thee, thy troubles to bless,
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.”
5. “When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all sufficient, shall be thy supply;
The flame shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume, and thy gold to refine.”
I will not, I will not desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to break,
I’ll never, no never, no never forsake.”