"THE CHOICE OF LOT"
A Lesson In Decision MakingGenesis 13:10-12INTRODUCTION
1. The examples of men and women as recorded in the Bible can provide
a. From Abraham we can learn the value of faith in God
b. From Joseph we see the workings of God's providential care
c. From Job we learn the importance of patience and faith under
2. From Lot, the nephew of Abraham, we can also glean valuable lessons
a. The art of decision making
b. The importance of making proper choices
[We will first take an introductory look at the life of Lot, and then
focus upon a decision he made and how it affected his life...]
I. LOT'S CHOICEA. IN THE BOOK OF GENESIS, LOT IS INTRODUCED TO US AS...
1. The nephew of Abraham who sojourned with him - Gen 12:5; 13:1
2. A man who like his uncle became quite wealthy - Gen 13:2-5
a. Because of the combined wealth of Abraham and Lot, they
were forced to separate - Gen 13:6-9
b. Given the opportunity to choose where he could go...
1) Lot made a choice, which on the surface was a good one
- Gen 13:10-12
2) But as good as it may have seemed, it resulted in much
sorrow and hardship for Lot!
B. AS A RESULT OF HIS CHOICE, LOT SUFFERED...
1. War - Gen 14:11
2. Kidnapping - Gen 14:12
3. Oppression and torment by the citizens of Sodom - 2 Pe 2:7-8;
cf. Gen 19:1-11
4. Loss of all his material wealth - Gen 19:15-16,24-25
5. The death of his wife - Gen 19:17,26
6. The shame of incest with his daughters - Gen 19:30-36
-- All these things happened despite the fact that Lot himself
was a righteous person - cf. 2 Pe 2:7-8
[The example of Lot should impress us with the importance of making the
proper choices in our lives. In view of what happened to Lot, we will
1) Some of the choices we make that greatly affect our lives
2) Some suggestions on how to make the right decisions
3) What to do when we realize that we have made the wrong ones
II. OUR CHOICESA. WHAT CHOICES DO WE MAKE THAT GREATLY AFFECT OUR LIVES?
1. The one that will affect your life more than any other: THE
CHOICE TO FOLLOW JESUS!
a. It will determine your place in eternity
b. It will have a bearing on every other choice you make; for
as a follower of Christ you will be concerned with doing
His will, not your own
2. Choosing your CAREER
a. The choice you make can have a lasting effect upon your
marriage, family, and your service to God
b. Even from a worldly viewpoint, your choice is important,
for the job market can change drastically
3. Choosing your MATE
a. The decision made will to a great extent determine your
degree of happiness in this life
b. It will have a permanent bearing on your children and their
1) You may think you can simply divorce a person who turns
out to be a bad choice
2) But once you have children, there is no way to reverse
the choice you made as to who is the mother or father of
4. Choosing your FRIENDS
a. Having close friends can be a wonderful blessing - Pro
b. But the wrong friends can be a curse for the righteous
- Pro 12:26; 1 Co 15:33
5. Choosing WHERE YOU WILL LIVE
a. It was in this choice that Lot made his mistake
b. It might just be there are some modern-day "Sodoms" and
B. HOW CAN WE MORE LIKELY MAKE THE RIGHT CHOICE?
1. Ask God for wisdom - Ja 1:5-8
2. Seek advice from others - Pro 11:14; 12:15
a. Discuss your alternatives with older, mature Christians
b. Consult the wisdom found in the Bible (especially in a book
3. Whatever you do, do it for the Lord's sake - cf. Ps 37:5-6,
23-26; Ja 4:15C. WHAT SHOULD WE DO WHEN WE REALIZE OUR CHOICE WAS WRONG?
1. Do what Lot did...
a. Heed the word of God (as in fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah)
b. Do what is right without reservation (remember Lot's wife!)
2. Do what Peter did after he denied Christ...
a. Repent, if there is sin involved in the choice made
b. Resolve to serve the Lord
3. Do what Paul did after persecuting the church...
a. Accept the forgiveness Jesus provides
b. Determine to live for the Lord the rest of your life to the
best of your ability
4. The wrong thing to do is to continue in the choice because of
pride or some other reason! (although there are some choices
we must live with...)
1. The example of Lot should serve...
a. To teach us that making the proper decision is very important
b. To warn us not to make our choices lightly
2. "Remember Lot" the next time you are faced with an important
a. Seek to make that decision based upon the will of the Lord and
not your own
b. Your eternal destiny (and that of those you love) might rest upon
Have you made the most important decision you will ever face? The
decision to follow Jesus as your Lord and Savior? If not, why not
today? - cf. Mt 28:19-20; Ac 2:38
Our Ad Sponsors Keep Higher Praise
On The Web