Rev. 3:7-13 THE JESUS CHURCH
Intro: Philadelphia was the youngest of all the cities. It was founded as a missionary
city for greek culture, it was known as ďlittle AthensĒ. It was also a military buffer
city. The name Philadelphia means The city of brotherly love. It was named this by
King Attalus II for his brother Eumenes, King of Pergamous. Philadelphia was built
in an active volcanic area. As a result, there were numerous volcanic eruptions and
earthquakes that forced the evacuation of the city. Philadelphia was filled with
numerous heathen temples, (Ill. Citizens and pillars). Philadelphia was the last of the
Christian cities to fall. It fell as a result of jealousy on the part of Byzantium
christians. This church received no complaints from the Lord. Only praise! Ill.
represents the time period 1700 a.d. to rapture. Represents the rebirth of revival and
missions! If we are to be any of these churches, letís strive to be Philadelphian in our
ministry and outreach. (Ill. Sent missionaries to India!)
I. v.7 THE CHARACTER OF CHRIST
A. In His Attributes
1. He is Holy - Demon - Mk.1:24; Angel - Like 1:35; 1 Pet. 2:22
2. He is True - (Real and genuine) (His fame lives up to His claim!)(Ill. Coke)
(Ill. Only Savior - Acts 4:12) (Ill. We can count on His Word!)
B. In His Authority - He has the keys. He is the key man! (ill. Isa. 22:20-25 - type
1. To Godís Blessings - 2 Cor. 1:20
2. To Salvation - Acts 4:12; John 10:9; John 14:6
3. To Service - 1 Cor. 16:9
4. To Safety - Col. 3:3
C. In His Activity - Opening and closing doors!
1. Ill. Open and closed doors - Paul, Acts 16
2. Jesus is busy manning the doors in our lives.
3. Ill. All doors are a blessing.
II. v.8-11 THE CONTROL OF CHRIST
A. v.8 In Control Of The Christians - (Knows works)
1. Weakness - Small numbers, true fundamental churches are in the minority.
Ill. Under Godís control.
2. Willingness - Weak but strong, kept some big things.
a. Kept Word - Ill. Bible is the Word of God - Is inspired, must be kept. Ill.
b. Kept Name - Jesus must be the churches focus! His name is to be lifted up
- John 12:32. (Ill. Liberal church) (Make much of Jesus and........)
B. v.9 In Control Of The Critics -
1. False church hates the true church! - John 3:20
2. If we are faithful, we will be criticized - 2 Tim. 3:12 Like it or not, we can
gauge our effectiveness by the flack we receive! Ill. Proper response - Matt.
C. v10-11 In Control Of The Crisis
1. Great tribulation - Church will be gone - Rom. 5:9.
2. The Earth Dwellers - Those who live for world - 1 John 2:15
3. Behold, I come quickly - Rapture - 1 Cor. 15:51-52; 1 Thes. 4:16-17
Joy for the believer and it is a missionary motive!
4. Hold Fast - Not to salvation, but to the Word and His name. Do not lose
reward and testimony. (Where would we want Jesus to find us?)
III. v.12-13 THE CONQUEST OF CHRIST (Rom. 8:37; Jn 16:33)
A. v.12a He Will Make Them - (Ill. pillars) (Ill. Pillows)
1. Strength - Ill. Pagan Temples
2. Stability - In Godís Temple. It will stand forever!
3. Steadfastness - Go out no more. (Ill. Earthquakes) (Ill. Eternal city!)
B. v.12b He Will Mark Them
1. Name of Jehovah - Marked as Godís people. Called out!
2. Name of New Jerusalem - Marked as to destination. 1 Cor. 2:9
3. Name of Jesus - Marked by the master. Ill. His mark - Holiness!
(Ill. His new name will reveal more of Him to us - Ill. Sheba
1 Kings 10:1-9)
Conc: Would Jesus tell us what he told these people? Would He come withpraise? Or
with complaint? Would He seek to encourage us? Or, would He have to rebuke us
before He could bless us? Perhaps, you are not even saved! Why not deal with
whatever might be wrong in your life right now?