Rev. 2:18-29 THE CHURCH WITH THE ROTTEN CENTER
Intro: Ill. An apple with a worm, or food that has rotted. This church was like this,
it looked pleasing on the exterior, but at it's heart it was wormy, rotten and festering
with evil. The city of Thyatira is the least known of all the cities, yet it received the
longest letter. However there are four things for which it was famous. 1. A
military city - A buffer city, Ceasars elite guard was stationed there. 2. An
industrial city - Ill. Lydia, dyes and water. 3. A trade guild city - Ill. Each guild
had it's own patron god. 4. An occult city - An occult temple presided over by a
female sorceress. This church represents the time period of 590 a.d. - 1517 a.d.
Jesus comes to this church as the Son of God. The one with authority to deal with
them, John 5:22. (Ill. The Sun God was the partron god of the elite guard.) He also
comes with flaming eyes: He sees all they do and all they are, Heb. 4:13. Feet of
Brass: He has come to judge, 1 Pet. 4:17. Let's join Jesus as He comes to the
church with a rotten center.
I. v.19 HE COMES WITH JOY
(Ill. A Working church - Working churches are the Lord's delight.)
A. They Are Active In Their Works -
1. Works - Our caling card!
2. Love - The only valid motive for works
3. Service - Ministry (Ill. Each church)
4. Faith - Works born of conviction
5. Patience - Endurance in the work.
6. Works are good, but there is a danger of trusting them and not Jesus.
(Ill. Worship always come before works - Jesus says to come before we
B. They Are Advancing In Their Works -
1. Development and Progress - (Ill. No room for laziness - 3 bums, Zeal)
2. Our works need to be growing. A lack of growth in our works, indicates a
lack of growth in our spiritual development. 2 Pet. 3:18.
3. Have you plataued? (Ill. Heb. 10:23-25)
II. v.20-23 HE COMES IN JUDGMENT
(Ill. Possibly founded by a woman - Lydia, Acts 16:14-40) (But, certainly
foundering because of a woman!) (Ill. Thank God for our ladies! Ill. A blessing
or a curse!) Ill. Leader are extremely important to the testimony of the church!
(Ill. Gune - A wife, possibly the pastor's wife!) Jesus comes to judge this church
A. v.20 A HERESY IS CONDONED -
1. Ill. Jezebel - Introduced Baal worship to Israel. A worship filled with
sexual perversion and idolatry. (Immorality and idolatry!)
2. Ill. Jezebelism - We must become like the world to win the world! Make
sin not so sinful. (Attempts to adopt and incorporate worldliness into the
church and it's worship.)
3. Sin must never be condoned in the church.! 2Thes. 3:6; Rom. 16:17
4. This church has the attitude that doctrine is not important. IT IS VITAL!!
(Ill. Doctrines introduced during this period - Papcy elevated, Dogma and
ritual given equal weight with scripture, Mariolatry, Purgatory, Mass,
Mass for dead, etc.) (Ill. Thyatira = Continual Sacrifice!)(Ill. Our modern
day - People are still twisting the truth and getting by with it! (Ill. Buffer
city - torn down and rebuilt - cults must constantly change their
doctrine - The truth never changes!) (Ill. Ecumenical movement is dangerous!
- 2 Cor. 6:14-18.)
B. v.21 A HERESY IS CONTINUING -
1. This woman misunderstood the goodness of God - Rom. 2:4
2. People still do this. But, God will not tolerate sin among His peoplele -
3. Sin must be repented of!
C. v.22-23 THIS HERESY IS CONDEMNED
1. This church will enter the tribulation. (Ill. Church will go on!)
2. The young will suffer. They suffer the most in a worldly church! They
don't have a chance.
3. Judgment will be according to each man's works - God is fair!
III. v.24-29 HE COMES WITH JUSTICE
(Just as He will punish the guilty, He will reward the faithful!)
A. v.24-25 RECOGNIZE THE FAITHFUL -
1. The rest are addressed - That faithful remnant, they are in every church.
(Ill.Elijah 1 Kings 19:18)
2. None other burden - They are to conmtinue in their calling. Witnesses
3. Not all will repent, but only a few are needed to bring results! (Ill. Kindling)
4. Hold fast - Stay true to the things of God, they will see you home. (Ill.
Preacher and pine knot)
B. v.26-29 REWARD THE FAITHFUL
1. Will share in Christ's authority - Will rule in the millenium - 1Cor. 6:2
2. Will be given the Morning Star - Rev. 22:3-4; 16.
a. When we have Jesus, we have it all! Rom. 8:17. (Ill. Wicked son and
b. Jesus will be our greatest reward! Remain faithful, hold fast, stay true to
the Book and the Lord will bless us. Beyond our wildest dreams.