Rev. 12:1-6 WONDERS IN HEAVEN
Intro: This is a chapter of great controversy. Many stumble here and fall into the trap
of false doctrine. A person’s interpretation of the whole book hinges on what they
believe about this particular passage of scripture. As always, we will intrepret the
scriptures in a way that allows them to speak for themselves. Notice the word
“wonder”, it means a sign, an unusual event worthy of special notice. Something very
strange is going on here. The vision that John is seeing is partly past and partly
future. Let’s spend a few minutes looking into these verses and notice some wonders
I. v.1-2 A WOMAN
A. She has been variously interpreted as: The Virgin Mary, The Church, and
many female cult leaders and even some women preachers have tried to set
themselves as this woman.
B. Her true identity?
1. Seen in her attire: Ill. Gen. 37:9-11
a. Sun - Glory, Isa. 46:13
b. Moon - Dominion - Gen. 13:15
c. Crown - Rule - The Jew will dominate the post-millenial world.
2. Seen in her crown - (12 Stars - Ill. 12 tribes - Gen. 37:9; 35:22)
C. Her Pain - This also displays her identity.
1. Her Cry - Israel has ever cried for her deliver, the Messiah to come - Ex. 3:7,
God has heard their pleas.
2. Her Travail - Israel has been in travail since the beginning. (Ill. All the
persecutions.) (Ill. Isa. 66:7-8) (Ill. Israel is not finished with pain and
suffering, she will go through the tribulation.)
3. Her Pain - Israel desired and desires to see Messiah come - Isa. 9:6
D. The woman without doubt pictures Israel. (Ill. God’s Wife - Isa. 50:1; Jer. 3:8)
The church is a virgin bride, 2 Cor. 11:2. The woman pictured here is obviously
II. v.3-4 A DRAGON
A. The identity of the Dragon is clear from verse 9.
B. Let’s notice several features of his character.
1. Great - Power and control in the world - Matt. 4:8-9.
2. Red - His murders - John 8:44.
3. Dragon - His vicious nature - 1 Pet. 5:8.
4. 7 heads - His wisdom - Eze. 28:12.
5. 10 Horns - His power over the final kingdom of man.
6. 7 Crowns - His perfect authority in the world system - 2 Cor. 4:4.
C. His Activity
1. 1/3 of the stars - The angels who followed him in his rebellion - Isa. 14:13-
2. Destroy the child - Satan hates the child of the woman. This is a reference to
the events surrounding the birth of Jesus - Matt. 2:13-18. Ill. Gen. 3:15.
Throughout the history of Israel, satan has tried to corrupt or kill off
the bloodline that would produce Jesus. (Ill. Cain, Noah, Isaac, Jacob,
III. v.5 A MAN CHILD
A. His Identity is plain
1. He will rule the world - Psa. 2:9
2. He will be caught up to God. A plain reference to the ascension of Jesus!
(Ill. His life and His work! - Mark 16:19) (Ill. Stephen - Acts 7:55-56)
(Ill. Heb. 1:3, 13; 8:1; 10:12; 12:2; 1 Pet. 3:22)
B. The child can only be the Lrod Jesus! He alone is worthy!
IV. v.6 A JOURNEY
A. Speaks of a time of great persecution. (Ill. The events of the Tribulation -
covenant, betrayal, murder, etc - Matt. 24:15-22; Dan. 9:27; 2 Thes. 2:1-4)
B. God will miraculously preserve His chosen people - (Ill. Petra!?)
C. This will be a sad time for anyone left behind! God help us in the time left
for us to work to get past little old petty things and win some people to Jesus!