Rev. 10:1-11 THE BEGINNING OF THE END
Intro: This is another of those parenthetical passages. They appear from time to time
in Revelation to turn our eyes from the awfulness of the judgment. They serve to
focus our attention on the blessed Lamb of God. In the midst of His wrath, we
desperately need to be reminded of His great power. There is one fundamental
problem with the world today, they leave Jesus out of their calculations and plans. Ill.
Ancient astronomy, (Aristotle and Ptolemy believed the wearth to be the center of the
universe. It wasnít until Nicholas Capurnicus and Johannes Kepler discovered that
the sun was the center of the solar system and all other things revolved around it, that
everything fell into place and began to make sense.) This world has cut Jesus from
the picture and replaced Him with the United Nations and other faulty institutions of
man and the result has been total chaos. When Jesus is restored as the focal point of
mankindís attention, then all things will make sense and fall into place. That is what
God is up to here. This passage introduces the middle of the tribulation period. Letís
notice what is taking place upon the earth as we see the beginning of the end.
I. v.1-4 THE APPEARANCE OF THE ANGEL
A. v.1 Who Is It? Probably Jesus! Why?
1. From Heaven - Abode
2. Cloud - Glory - (Ill. Cloudy pillar!)
3. Rainbow - Mercy - (Ill. Rainbow after flood)
4. Sun - Diety, glory - (Ill. Mt. of Transfiguration, Ill. They wanted a sign -
Mtt.12:38. He gave them signs - When He was born, He placed a star in the sky.
When He died, He put the sun out! Now He stands in His glory outshining the sun!
5. Legs of fire - Judgment! (Ill. There will be no winking at sin!) Ill. He
walked here, lived here and died here. He has watched this world persecute His
saints, devastate His world, and turn a deaf ear to His calls. But, He is coming
back! No meek, mister nice guy this time. He comes in wrath!
B. v.2 What Is He Doing?
1. Holding - A book of propehcy. Possibly OT prophets - Dan. 12:4 (Ill. v.7-11)
2. Standing - Claiming the sum total of earth for Himself. (Ill. Practice of
victors) (Ill. Buying land!)
C. v.3 What Is He Saying?
1. Crying as a lion - (Ill. Nothing compares to the roar of a lion who stands in
his own domain.) This roar is Godís final warning to His enemies that He is coming.
2. Seven Thunders - (Voice of God) Psa. 29:3-9 Ill. John was told not to write!
(Ill. Daniel and Paul.) What did the voice say? Good Question!
II. v.5-7 THE ANNOUNCEMENT FROM THE ANGEL
A. Jesus plegdes by His Father that there will be no more delays!
B. All the eternal plans and visions of God are about to be brought to pass!
C. We need to remember that the days of delay are in reality the days of
D. Ill. When the wainting is over, all the sinners will be punished! (Ill. How long
Oh Lord? Now, My child!)
III. v.8-11 THE APPROPIATION OF THE BOOK
A. John could see the book, even know its contents. But, until he took it personally,
he was no bettered!
B. Eat it! - (Ill. The Word is food - Mt. 4:4; Psa. 119:103; Jer. 15:16; 1 Pet. 2:22)
The Word does us no good until we eat it and digest it. Until you learn to feed
off the Book, you will be an undernourished Christian.
C. v.9-10 The Two-fold Effect - Both sweet and bitter. (Ill. Heb. 4:12)
1. The is a blessing and a burden to the Word, a sweetness and a sadness, a
happiness and a heartache, etc.
2. The future, the little book is prophetic, is wonderful for the saint, but awful
for the sinner!
D. v.11 With the Word comes responsibility
1. If we are going to speak for God, we must know His Word!
2. If we know His Word, then we must share it!
E. John was to speak concerning all of these things - Ill. Chps. 11-22
F. John did his job well. Can we say the same?
Conc: We are presently living in the days of delay. Let us pray, study and witness so
that we may live and work for Jesus until He comes. Are you ready to meet God, my