Rev. 9:1-12 WHEN HELL VISITS THE EARTH
Intro: Ill. The phrase, ďHell on earth!Ē. We tend to exagerate our circumstances
sometimes and feel that we really have it bad. We are famous for our pity parties! We
have never seen a time like the one that is coming upon this old world someday. Il.
The tribulation period. A time that is so bad, even Heaven becomes silent over the
coming horror, 8:1; and pronounces a threefold woe upon the earth dwellers, 8:13.
Many people avoid this book, because it scares them. Well, it was given to lost men
as a warning of what was coming so they might prepare themselves and miss the
awful period of time that is coming upon the earth. These things are not to be
avoided, they are to be heeded. These things are given to change us. Tonight, we will
literally see a period of time when there will be hell on earth! If you have heard of
sin, Hell and the end of man and are still unmoved, then listen to these verses tonight
as we consider the thought, When Hell Visits The Earth!
I. V.1 THE ANGEL(Letís see if we can determine his identity!)
A. A Famous Figure - (A star = Ill. Athlete, movie, music, etc.) (Ill. Lucifer = Day
Star - Isa. 14:12) Ill. Known in Heaven, Earth and Hell
B. A Fallen Figure - Ill. Past tense; Ill. Luke 10:18
1. Fallen from Heaven - Isa. 14:12; Eze. 28:14) (Ill. Anointed Cherub)
2. Satan hates both you and God - donít let him use you!
C. A Fearful Figure - (Bottomless Pit = Shaft of the Abyss; Luke 8:31)
1. Jesus holds the keys to hell - Rev. 1:18; (Ill. Satanís power is limited! Ill.
2. The key is delivered to Satan that he might unlock the door that separates
this world from the next. The hidden supernatural world will come into view!
(Ill. What a tragedy!)
II. V.2 THE ABYSS
A. A Deep Place - Bottomless
B. A Dark Place - (Ill. Smoke, a description of Hell - Luke 16:19-31) (Ill people
joke about hell, but those who reject Jesus will go there!)(Ill. Mt. ST. Helens -
people had sense enough to flee!)
C. A Demonic Place - Matt. 25:41
1. Demons dread the Abyss - Luke 8:31
2. The Beast comes from the Abyss - Rev. 11:7
3. Satan will be chained in the Abyss - Rev. 20:1
4. Fallen angels are bound there - 2Pet. 2:4; Jude 6
5. Abyss is he home of demons so vile and so vicious that they are chained now,
but they will be released some day!
6. The world is getting ready for this invasion! (Ill. Increased interest in the
supernatural, especially angels. This will prepare the world for the demonic attack
that will come! (Ill. Music, movies, cults, crime, etc. All point to an increase in
III. V.3-12 THE ATTACKERS
(Ill. Locusts and the terror they inspire. Ill. Their devastation of crop land!)
1. Have power as do scorpions - Ill. Scorpions
2. Are they literal or Figurative? Figurative! 2 reasons:
1. V.4 They do not hurt plants, they target people, lost people!
2. They have a king - Pro. 30:25
3. What we see here is a demonic invasion!
A. V.5-6 A Description Of Their Purpose
1. To Torment Men for five months!
2. Death will be a goal, but no one will doe for 5 months! (Ill. No funerals;
3. Even suicide will be impossible! (Ill. The horror here!)
B. V.7-12 A Description Of Their Personalities
1. Horses - An invading army
2. Crowns - Authority; No one will be able to do away with them! (Ill. Congress
3. Faces - Intelligence
4. Hair - Attractive - Men may be drawn to them
5. Teeth - Infective - Ill. Lionís bite is the most infective bite known!
6. Breastplates - Force and Insensitivity - They will delight in inflicting pain!
(For five months, they will feast on blood!0
7. Chariots - Oppressive - Unstoppable (Ill. Armies of men will prove useless!)
8. Tails - Tormentive; They will sting men.
9. Destructive - v.11 They are organized and the name of their king is
Destruction! They have a job and they will perform it well!
10. What will it be like to awaken one morning and find one of these fearful
creatures staring at you and waiting for you? Many will find out!
Conc: One day soon, Hell will be let loose upon this world! Will you be here? You
donít have to be! Will folk you know be here? They donít have to be either! Jesus
died to save all men. And, to make a way for them to avoid the terrible times that are
coming upon this world!