2 Chron. 7:14 GODíS RECIPE FOR POWER IN HIS CHURCH
Intro: Ill. The construction of the Temple. In these verses, God is providing help
and provision for His people. When His people stumble from their lofty position and
fall into sin, He is giving them the means necessary to recover that which they have
lost. (Ill. There is a great need tonight for Godís people to recover that ďCutting
edge.Ē - 2 Kings 6:6) If we do not walk in or have the power of God, it is our fault!
We can walk in the strength of His power if we desire to. This verse tells us how.
Letís look together at God Recipe For Power In His Church.
I. THE CALL
A. To Godís People - John 1:12 Ill. Not to the lost, but to those who bear His
name! (Ill. Christian - Acts 11:26)
B. A Provision To be Met - ďIFĒ It all hinges on the willingness of Godís people
to do the Lordís will! (Ill. Elijah and Israel on Carmel - 1 Kings 18:21 - We
must decide who is really God!)
II. THE CONDITIONS
Power will come when Godís people are found to be:
A. Humble - Psa. 9:12; Matt. 18:4; James 4:10
We would do well to remember:
1. Where we came from - Isa. 51:1
2. That god is holy - Pro. 16:18
3. That God hates sin - Eze. 18:20; Rom. 6:23
4. That our best is filthy in His sight - Isa. 64:6
5. That god always judges sin - Gal. 6:7; Num. 32:23
(Ill. When we see God as He really is, and ourselves as we really are, then we
will humble ourselves before Him! Ill. Isaiah - Isa. 6:6 - ďWoe is me!Ē
B. Prayerful - Rom. 12:12; 1 Thes. 5:17
Calling on God for:
1. Spiritual needs
2. Otherís salvation and needs
3. Power in the church
4. Our enemies - Ill. Cliches and factions are not part of His plan! (Ill. The
Corinthian church. Jesus has a better plan - Matt. 5:44!
C. Obedient - 1 Sam. 15:22; Acts 5:29
1. Obeying Godís Word - John 14:15
2. Obeying Godís Will - Matt. 7:21
3. Obedience carries a sweet promise from Jesus - John 14:21
D. Broken - Malachi - Repent; John the Baptist - Repent Ill. Eze. 18:30.
1. Confession - Psa. 32:5; 1 John 1:7
2. Turning away from sin - Anything less is not real repentance!
3. The church needs to be broken over her sins! Not just those of the world as
bad as they are! It is our sins that are killing us!
4. True repentance has double vision: It looks upon things past with a
weeping eve and upon things future with a watchful eye!
III. THE COVENANT (If we will, He will!)
A. God Will Hear - Isa. 65:24. Ill. God hears a repentant prayer - Psa. 66:18.
B. God Will Forgive - 1 John 1:9; Psa. 103:12
C. God Will Answer - (Ill. Jacob and the angel) We must have the power of
God! Anything less just will not do! Ill. When get our lives, our prayers, our
hearts right with God, we can expect Him to pour out His power upon us in the
church. But, not until! (Ill. There are definite hindrances to a move of the
power of God. We need to be aware of these and address them, because it is
dangerous for us to quench His Spirit - Eph. 4:30!
Conc: I encourage each person here to establish a solemn covenant, one with the
other, that we will repent of any sin in our lives and actively seek the face of God so
that we can experience true revival and true power in the church.
Alan Carr - Pastor Gilead Baptist Church