2 Corinthians 10:3-5
Introduction: Wars come in many shapes and sizes, many varieties.
There is the American
Civil War, WW1 and WW2, the Korean War, the Viet Nam War, the Gulf War, the War
in Afghanistan, and most recently the War in Iraq.
These wars all have a
different character, different reasons, and different ways of battle.
In every war there has
been an evil that has been faced and fought.
In the Iraqi War again
we faced an evil.
It is very important
that our leaders understand what evil they are up against.
As Christians we are in
a war with Satan. In these verses, Paul tells us some important information
about this war.
10:3 For though we walk in the flesh,
we do not war after the flesh:
a. What does it take to start a war?
Wars are fought between
good and evil.
Before there is a war,
1. Not only must there be a threat,
2. But there must be good people,
a. People who hate injustice and tyranny,
b. People willing to stand together and fight.
"The only thing necessary for
the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."
b. The reason why Satan wins so many times
in America is because we are not willing to fight.
If we are
to be a part of the warfare against Satan.
1. We must separate ourselves from the
2. We must stand and fight the evil that
threatens the souls of men.
a. Who else will war for God against Satan?
Remember - "The
only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do
Verse 4: For the weapons of our warfare are not
carnal, but mighty through God to the pulling down of strong holds;
a. The Word of God.
It is a
weapon in our hands as we read it,
believe it, and obey it
Psalms 119:9 ¶ BETH. Wherewithal shall a young man
cleanse his way? by taking heed [thereto] according to thy word. 11 Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that
I might not sin against thee.
It is a
weapon in our hands as we teach and
preach it in our churches, in our families, and in our cities.
It is a
weapon in our hands as we take it to the
ends of the earth. Matthew 28:18-20
In Ephesians 6:17, Paul
calls the Bible the "Sword of the Spirit."
Are YOU devoting
yourself to the study of God's Word?
Are you seeking to
understand the impact the Word of God makes on every area of life and culture?
b. In our spiritual warfare, we have two
all-purpose weapons, and five pieces of armor (Ephesians 6:11-18).
Our all-purpose weapons
are the Word of God and prayer.
1. They are useful for either offense or defense.
2. We use them to advance Jesus' Kingdom.
Our armor is:
1. Truth - Define it, defend it, teach it.
2. Righteousness - rely on Jesus' righteousness; and
live a holy life
3. Faith - You are lost without faith.
4. Salvation - You need assurance of salvation.
a. How shall we conduct this warfare?
This is not a war that
we can fight physically with our bodies.
1. We cannot use our fists, or pistols, or guided
missiles or bombs.
2. Karate will be useless.
This war must be fought
with heart, soul, spirit and mind.
b. Our weapons are MIGHTY.
Because God has
annointed our weapons.
Because He has designed
our weapons to tear down strongholds.
c. What is our goal?
To pull down the
strongholds of Satan in this world.
d. What are the fronts in this war?
1. Chiefly, to publish God’s Word throughout the World.
2. “Go ye into all the World and Preach the Gospel.”
1. To conquer our own sinful desires and actions.
2. To resist Satan's temptations,
3. To lead a holy life.
1. To win the battles for the souls of men.
2. To bring as many others to heaven with us as we can.
a. Every opportunity must be gained.
b. Every person must be told.
c. Every means must be used.
e. The term "Spiritual warfare" has been
hijacked by the Charismatics,
In the ears of many
Christians it usually refers to exorcisms, casting demons out of people, or
houses, or marching around a city chanting "we are claiming this city for
1. Demons are real, but we need to realize that they are
very limited in what they can do.
2. Christians cannot be demon possessed, because the
Holy Spirit indwells us, and we have been baptized into Christ Himself.
3. We don’t win Spiritual Warfare when we focus on the
But when we live holy
lives, win people to Christ, and preach truth and righteousness in our
1. THEN we are truly engaged in spiritual warfare.
is for the hearts and minds of people
on preaching the Gospel,
the Faith, and
Verse 5: Casting down imaginations, and every high
thing that exalteth itself against the knowledge of God, and bringing into
captivity every thought to the obedience of Christ;
Imaginations, verse 5
word “imaginations” means the activity of one's reasoning powers
thoughts, Our calculations, Our reflections
The root of the Greek
word is "logos" or
"word" in English.
1. In other words, we battle against Satan chiefly with
information and spiritual understanding.
2. We use that information and understanding to advance
3. For example, when Paul enteblack a Pagan city on his
a. he did not march around the city casting out demons
and binding Satan.
b. He went to the Synagogue, or the public debating
place, and preached and argued the truth of Christianity.
Most Christians are
barely engaged in this great spiritual battle going on all around us all the
If you want to be
successful in being a warrior for Christ, you need to understand what that
Using your mind, your
intelligence, your knowledge of the Word of God -- to use the Word of God and
prayer to win souls.
<< Previous Index Next >>